No Surprise About This

I was not surprised when I see these two e-mails in my mailbox today.

Well, since Alan has spoken, I will also like to say some things about what I wrote in my earlier entries.

The reasons why I feel that Alan is not suitable for a mass communication type of job because :-

  1. The world of journalism is like a web of deceit. It is too complex and complicated. People will still judge him by his hearing problem & not his capabilities. I personally met this kind of employer before in my 1st job. The boss actually said on my last day with the company to my director that "WHY YOU HIRED HIM FOR? I KNEW HE WAS NOT GOING TO STAY FOR LONG, FURTHERMORE HE IS DISABLED." I was stunned for words when I heard that. Knowing Alan for quite a while, even though I lost touch with him, he may take the comment too hard if he was caught in a similar situation as me.
  2. The hearing aid will be a slight disadvantage to his dream job. A job in Journalism requires good eyesight, good hearing and good writing skills. I am not trying to put him down by putting a cold bucket of water. I just want him to be realistic. From his reply, you guys will be able to tell that he is not in sync with the current situation. Our ministers have been preaching " Don't be choosy, take whatever job that comes way." I used to have a dream to be a radio DJ, but I had to give it up and I chose Accountancy instead, as my results weren't good enough to allow me to take up Mass Communications.

As he said, I am allowed to have my comments and I hope this clarifies matters with him.I have nothing against him. Just hope he can understand what I mean. But what he wants to do, I cannot stop him as its his life, therefore he should know what to do with it, what is best for him?


Paul,

I think I have something to add on to my earlier comments.

I read your blog carefully again. It seems to me that from the way you write in that blog entry, you are misleading people into thinking that I have severe hearing problems.

I need to clarify this, friend.

Please understand that on the day when I met you for lunch at Sultan Foodcourt near your working place, the place was quite noisy, due to the talking crowd. Furthermore, we were sitting near the busy roadside. Of course I need you to speak up louder!

And what I said that day was: I have this intention to apply for the job post of assistant producer for Channel NewsAsia. But I decided not to do so because I am not interested to do TV production, which is something quite technical. I said, it is either I go into broadcast journalism or corporate communications (or Public Relations). Anyway, what is so weird about me becoming a news producer at Channel NewsAsia?

So far I do not have problems talking to people face-to-face, except that I may need people to repeat their sentences on the phone. Just for my own purposes, I might intend learning some sign languages in the near future, to communicate better with those severe hearing impaired or deaf people. Because I can understand these people better.

Thank you.


Hi Paul,

I refer to your blog entry dated 30 May 2005 (http://www.paul1979.blogspot.com/)

I think I have to speak up on this issue.

Personally, I think that one shouldn't be resigned to his own fate because of his certain handicaps. It is all in the mind.

I only live once, so I must make the best out of this lifetime. I don't want any regrets when I think back..years from now.

I have been networking around with many positive people, especially the cool guys from the MCYS youth workgroup "Youth Action". Students, teachers, managers, civil servants and directors.

They all echo the voice of going full pursuit of one's passions or aspirations during his or her youth years. And now, I am given the task of handling the communication or liaision work between government agencies and the media for the Urban Infest 2005 publicity campaign to be launched this month...for the event to be held on 2nd July. I enjoy what I'm doing, and the officials from different agencies have been giving me full support.

I don't consider myself as a handicapped person. You know something? The Youth Disablity workgroup people also agreed that handicapped youths do have the right to chase after their passions, just like any other able-bodied Singaporean. They can also contribute something positive to the society. MCYS Minister Dr Vivian Balakrishnan agreed with the sentiments shared by these youths.

Nominated MP Eunice Olsen even gave me some sound advice about entering the media/communications profession. She said, "Sure, why not? Just go for it!"

Yes, it certainly takes great courage to do so. But as I said earlier, it is all in your attitude or mindset.You know what you want. You have your own passions. Destiny is what you make out of your life. So, it is either a yes or no.

Very simple actually. If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you can't. Just look at my below email signature and you will know it.

Yes, I might fail in my attempt to be the someone I wanted to be. But at the least, I dare say that "I've tried my best".

Of course at the end of the day, you are still entitled to your own opinions.

Regards,

Alan

www.xanga.com/humourboi
"It is your disabled attitude that determines your disability and it is your disability that can or can't close opportunities in life for you"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner @ Bacchus @ Dempsey

My Hosting Script for The National Day Event

June Musings