The Birthday Co-Ordinator Runs Into Problems

As you guys saw from my last post that I'm being asked to be the co-ordinator for my friend's birthday. At the same time, I am being asked by those invited for the mini gathering to get a present for the birthday gal.

I didn't think that it was a difficuit task as most of us have known each other for at least 6 years. 3 of the people invited (including myself) feel that we should not impose any budget constraint to the gift that we are going to give the birthday gal as whenever our birthdays came, she would usually let the purchaser(which is usually me) know that she is willing to spend any amount for our presents. I am not trying to imply that I make friends by looking at the value of the gift that they give me.

For me, I just feel that good friends are hard to come by, especially those who truly understand & know you.

I was a bit stunned when I got the reply from one of those invited this morming. This is the contents of the sms.

Me: Dear friends, Ms XXX is organising her birthday at __________ on a date to be confirmed. Please let me know what is your budget for her b-day present. I have seen a pair of earrings from Lee Hwa jewellery, which is $338.
X: Wah, that's very ex. Max can contribute only $30, got lots of other things to pay for.
Me: I can top up the shortfall if there is a need to. (this is something that I usually do just to make the gift shared by the no of friends look better sometimes.)
X: I think u better ask Mr A & B as A may not be working now & B is saving for house, so makes no sense to top up. A present need not be expensive so long as you have the heart.
Me: Ok noted.
I was wondering how can get a presentable gift for a paltry sum of $30 per person , when you have known the person for a reasonable length of time. A voucher, like one of those invited said, will not do as it will be equalvient to giving money to the person. It means that the person is like begging you for money.
After much consideration, I have more or less settled on how to counter the problem. Those who can afford will pay more, those who can't will pay less.
Any suggestions for gift ideas or how to solve this problem?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner @ Bacchus @ Dempsey

My Hosting Script for The National Day Event

June Musings