What's In A Name ?

I saw Elaine's question on the tagboard with regards to my name, Bing Fong. I feel that it will be interesting to share how I got this name.

I came to this world on 18 Dec 1979, about 2 months earlier than expected. I was given this name 冰峰 by my dad. However, as I was born with a swelling in the brain, which very nearly required an operation on my brain a few days after I was born, my mum went to a famous gemoancer, who have since passed away, to help me 算命. He told my mum that the name given by my dad was not good for my life, as I will go through many tribulations, with no hope of overcoming them,as the strokes were not good for my life.

He suggested that my name should be changed it to 彬逢, which will make it better for me to overcome my tribulations & difficuities.

My mum is glad that she made the change as:-

  1. I did not go for the brain operation later.
  2. I was able to lead a normal lifestyle despite my disability.

However, I still remember that my dad was unhappy when I had included 彬逢 in my identity card when I changed my identity card in 1994. That time, my mum had a big fight with him over it. I remembered it took more than a month to cool down.

Therefore, I told myself that should I have my own child next time, I should consult a gemoancer first before deciding whether it is a good name for the child.

Comments

Dalicia said…
okay :) i was just wondering. i never heard that name before :)

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner @ Bacchus @ Dempsey

My Hosting Script for The National Day Event

June Musings