Can We Value Life Seriously?

I was on my way to work yesterday when I heard that a person had jumped off the platform at Yishun MRT station. My parents said that there seems to be a new trend, whereby people choose to commit sucide at MRT stations, instead of jumping from HDB blocks or gassing themselves to death. I wonder if the press has a part to play in this, as they seemed to be glorifying the incident of people jumping off the platform at MRT stations recently. Maybe like what the psycharist said in the paper today, the reporters should stop glorifying it so that people won't be copycats and follow what these people do when they are faced with problems.

Because of this incident, there were lots of people crowding the bus yesterday. As a result, I ended up being late for work yesterday. I was reprimanded by LB. I have tried to put in an explaination but she didn't buy that, so it can't be helped. It seems like people who are always being chaffeured do not understand how difficuit it is sometimes to take public transport in Singapore. We have to be up at least 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs early just to catch the train or bus to work. Sometimes if we are running late, we just try to hail a cab to work. But the situation is these public transport can't seem to be at the bus stops, taxi stands and MRT stations when you need them most. I remembered I was nearly stampeded at an MRT station while boarding the train once, fell off the bus twice while boarding a overcrowded bus. The bus was actually not crowded at all, as people just don't have the courtesy to move to the empty spaces at the rear of the bus. I wonder if I can get my boss to give up his car and try the Singapore public transport for a day. You will understand how we the workers feel, especially for some of us who really live out of the way.

The sad news is that I will be going back to office this Saturday again to clear my work again. The good news is that I can finally settle down and concentrate to prepare for my paper on next Wednesday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner @ Bacchus @ Dempsey

My Hosting Script for The National Day Event

June Musings