Visit To Chen Su Lan Methodist Children’s Home

7c38f8a0accec7ec

Picture courtesy of Chen Su Lan Methodist Children’s Home’s website

I was asked by my mum to join her and her fellow volunteer consuellors & their family members from the Care Corner in spreading some Christmas cheer to the underprivilleged children at Chen Su Lan Methodist Children’s Home, which is near my place.

For me it has been about 14 years since I did such an activity. I used to do such activities when I was in secondary school, with my ECA group, the Interact Club. For my mum, a visit to the home was like homecoming to her as she used to work as a teacher at the home 16 years ago.

We were there to play some games and had lunch with them. We were taken to a tour of the home by the supervisor as well before we mingled with the children. We got to understand how the home is operated and how the children are living under the strict home rules. Some of them include:-

  1. Boys and gals are not allowed to mingle together at the home, except during group activities.
  2. Lights out at the home is at 9.30pm
  3. There are various divisions in the home that caters for children from the age of 6 to 18 years old.
  4. Payment for the children’s home is required unless the family is in financial hardship. This will ensure that their parents will not forget that they are still responsible for their child’s needs.
  5. No photography is allowed to protect the child from being identified.

I could sense that the children were very happy when they were playing the games and receiving their prizes after the games. Also they certainly enjoyed their lunch of McDonald’s Fish Fillet Burger with apple slices.

 

I was telling the organiser for the event that more of such visits can be done to spread more joy to the children. I was told by her that another such event will be done for CNY.

 

P.S.: Update at 10.30pm: My mum & I got a laptop bag each from Care Corner for our efforts this morning. It is a surprise that we didn’t expect. Shall keep the bags since my brother is the only one that has a notebook and he already has a laptop bag which was given by Canon when I bought the printer at the PC show about a year ago.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner @ Bacchus @ Dempsey

My Hosting Script for The National Day Event

June Musings