Sharing Of Experience

I was asked by Ms Stacey Wong, IRAS Corporate Communications Officer, to share my e-filing volunteer experience in writing this year. Since I thought it was good to share and banish away the bad publicity that the exercise was subjected to recently, I decided to do it.

Here is the full text of what I wrote in my email.

Dear Stacey,

As spoken and requested, here are my thoughts about this year's e-filing exercise. I have enclosed my photo in this email as well.

I have started volunteering for the exercise since the year 2004. The reasons that prompted me to do so are as follows:-

1. There are not many people who are as experienced as me to help these people who do not how to e-filing of their taxes, since I am a tax senior in an audit firm myself. It is therefore good to share my tax knowledge with taxpayers, so that they can know how to do it.

2. I am physically challenged myself, but I do not like people to look down on me. I prefer to look at the positive side of things and let people know that even though I am physically challenged, I am still willing to help wherever I can as I do not know when I would need help from people next time.

3. As the years went by, the people whom you have helped to e-file, become familiar with you. They would usually look for you and treat you as their friend. I have came across instances, where taxpayers who came and ask you for help in e-filing, and they would buy you coffee or snacks later. There were also instances where some taxi drivers, whom I have helped to e-file, would give me discounts off my taxi ride when I take their cab. There were also instances where the people who come to e-file, would ask you when is the CC starting to help people to e-file their taxes, or "are you helping out at the CC this year for the e-filing?"

All these have prompted me to volunteer my services year after year, for the past 7 years. It certainly gives me a sense of satisfaction and achievement when I am able to help these taxpayers.

Volunteering is certainly not about getting the outstanding volunteer award or certificate of appreciation. It is about how willing are you going to give to the society, and those people who need it? If you are willing, you will be happy and satisfied with what you do.

I hope my thoughts is not too long for you to summarise.

Thank you.

Paul

I hope she does not find my email too hard to summarise. How do you guys find it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner @ Bacchus @ Dempsey

My Hosting Script for The National Day Event

June Musings