Sharing of Experience For National Day Block Party

I was asked by the photographer of my area’s bi-monthly magazine to do a short write up about the National Day Block Party which I did. This is what I wrote as a draft which will be sent for editing for publication in the September issue of Jalan Kayu Tracks.
My name is Paul, from Jalan Kayu Zone 4 RC. I had joined the RC in January 2011, at my friend’s encouragement. This friend of mine, whom I got to know through a yearly volunteer event a few years ago is one of the executive members in the YEC at Yio Chu Kang.
I was asked to help to organize the National Day Block Party during the RC meeting in July. Although I had the experience of organizing KTV events for adults through Facebook regularly, it was definitely my 1st time organizing such a big-scale event for children. It did not help the fact that my committee members were quite new to this as well. Fortunately, the senior RC members were very helpful in guiding us how to do it.
Due to the limited budget that we were given, I volunteered to take up the hosting duties for the quiz segment. It took me 4 nights of researching over the Internet for the quiz questions. The good thing was that I had studied History during my Secondary School days and have been reading newspapers frequently, therefore it was not too difficult. I was worried that the children would find the questions too difficult to answer that I emailed the questions to my fellow RC members and my friends for advice and comments before finalizing my quiz questions. It was my 1st time hosting an event!
On the day of the event, the children surprised me with their knowledge of Singapore and their enthusiasm to answer the questions, especially the tough ones. This was indeed a satisfying moment as all the efforts to get the event up and running were not put to waste. In fact, all of us are humbled by the positive response we had from the residents.
Please feel free to give feedback and comments. =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner @ Bacchus @ Dempsey

My Hosting Script for The National Day Event

June Musings