Dealing With Mad Dogs @ Work

Firstly, my sincere apologies to the readers of my blog. I have not been able to update my recent happenings around me as:-

  1. There is a new colleague who joined my firm and she happens to be my friend, therefore I had to spend some time to train her up. It is tough training a person, especially if the person is new to this line of work. I hope she has performed well enough to let my boss confirm her job in the company next month.
  2. My busy work schedule. The time of the year has arrived again, where most people have problems filing their taxes. As tax agent, we have to ensure that our client’s tax submission is complete within the stipulated date (15 April for paper filing & 18 April for e-filing) in an accurate manner. Coupled with the late filings & tax queries, I was really drained to the max!
  3. My IRAS Volunteer e-filing sessions. Despite my busy work schedule, I felt that I should still contribute to the Volunteer e-filing sessions, as I know that the taxpayers will definitely need my assistance and with my knowledge gained from my studies & work in the area, I would be able to save some taxpayers from going to IRAS should they encounter problems filing their tax return. There were technical issues encountered in the e-filing this year and I am glad that it is finally resolved after two weeks of mayhem.

I was particularly pissed off by two of the managing partners of the audit arm of my firm recently.

  1. One of them pointed an accusing finger at me & my manager that I drafted an e-mail reply to a potential client. To think he vented his fury at me and slammed my table nearly made me a little disillusioned recently. I had absolutely no idea about the contents of the e-mail, as my department had been busy with trying to meet the personal tax deadline for our clients. I told my managing partner what happened. I was glad that she supports and trust me as a staff. In fact, we shared some views about the recent happenings in the firm. I guessed without her support, I would have raised the white flag.
  2. The other, had commented that my department had made too much noise at work, disturbing other people. This caused my managing partner to issue a circular stating we could only discuss work related problems during our lunch break or after work. I feel that this partner should manage her own staff first, as I always hear her and the audit staff gossiping about other stuffs, other than work at office. Not only that, as a partner, you plug in to your handphone radio, that’s why your staff follow you as the saying goes “Monkey see, monkey do.” Respect needs to be earned, not accorded.

Hopefully, I am still in one piece after this peak period after 18 April. =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner @ Bacchus @ Dempsey

My Hosting Script for The National Day Event

June Musings