Year 2012 In Review

We are approaching the end of 2012 in two days time. As usual, during this time of the year, I would do my yearly review in this blog of mine. I am doing it early again this year as my ex colleague, Roy would be helping me to do some maintenance work on my PC on 31 Dec, therefore I would not have my PC with me for a few days. Typing this entry on a notebook computer would be a tiring process.

The Year 2012 was a tiring year for me, but rewarding in terms of my work, volunteer work, grassroots work, but not so for friendship & family & BGR.

Work

This year was a tiring year for me at work as for the first time in my tenure at my company, I was so busy that I had to bring home my work on weekends to clear them since September, in order to meet the end November Form C deadline. It was not helped by the fact that one of the trusted “foreign talent” colleague resigned and my boss had entrusted me with the responsibility to hire someone to come in to replace her. Two of my friends, one of them that I thought I could count on as I had known her from my IRAS Volunteer activities really disappointed me with her carelessness and “blur like sotong” mistakes, while the other, whom I knew through my group KTV activities had the cheek to talk back to my boss after she made mistakes. This person was subsequently sacked by my boss, like the first one. When my boss asked me for help to hire the 3rd one in 6 months, I was a little apprehensive, but I decided to put forward my initial choice as a candidate. This new hire, who is again a friend of mine from the KTV group has not disappointed me so far, and was confirmed two months after she was hired. Sometimes, I just feel that I should not listen to my mum. Luckily my bonus was not affected by these two failed hires.

I also got my boss to hire a new staff to assist us with our tax work, since my friend is not trained in tax. But the response was so poor that we only managed to get one to come in in October, making us not able to meet the deadline for the first time in the firm’s history.

We were also hindered by technical problems on the IRAS website, which has been plaguing us since June, and very demanding clients and the changes in tax legislations which made us spend more time with our work.

SIATP Accredited Tax Practitioner Qualification

This marks my first year where I have to complete 30 hours of CPE (Continuing Professional Education), since my bosses helped me in my application for this qualification, since knowing that I was stopping my pursuit of the ACCA qualification last year. Some interesting courses that I attended this year included “Say It Clearly” & “Effective Negotiation Skills”. I look forward to attend more of such courses next year.

IRAS Volunteer E-Filing Program

This year marks my 9th year in this exercise, which I got the outstanding volunteer award once again for my efforts & contributions.VES_082

But this year was also the most tedious year, as the e-filing system was plagued by system problems that resulted me having to escalate the problems up to former Commissioner of IRAS, Mr Moses Lee. I am impressed by the quick response that he was able to give. Although this course of action that we, the senior volunteers took, ruffled the feathers of several IRAS officers, and caused my love to help the others to diminish somewhat, my mum, some fellow volunteers and a senior IRAS officer, who was at the CC I was at, encouraged me to continue as I am the only senior volunteer working in this field and with my qualifications, they feel that I can help taxpayers better.

This year, as leader of the IRAS VES Group, I initiated a dinner gathering amongst the volunteers to know each other better, otherwise it is always a gathering of strangers at the IRAS VES Appreciation Ceremony. I am glad to say that the response was encouraging. I certainly hope we can keep this going as long as possible.

477190_10150820361044353_1818484945_o 

Jalan Kayu Zone 4 Grassroots Leader

This year marks my first year as a Grassroots Leader. I was placed in the Integration & Naturalisation Committee, a committee that helps to integrate new citizens & PRs into the Singapore lifestyle. Although I have not been able to attend any of the meetings due to my heavy work commitments, I was happy that I was able to lead a team to Gardens By The Bay and I was able to go in for free.

318993_10151132717594353_1784010045_n

As for the Zone activities, I am glad that I am able to participate in some of them and the committee has recognised my efforts and intend to nominate me for the assistant treasurer post.

679820_10151153073979353_1893588927_o

Singing @ K Group

I am glad to say that the problems that were plaguing the group last year were solved after Jonathan & I managed to rope in Raymond to help us as we felt that the group was getting too big and we cannot allow relationship problems between group members to have an impact on other members, affecting the turnout and enjoyment of others.  I think we are doing well on this as we are still seeing new members coming into the group in this year, while the regulars are still enjoying the events we are organising for them.

309348_10150973710679353_8462120_n

540148_10151161598319353_612369051_n

As April puts it, “may the organising committee organise more and more successful events”

My Family Holiday to East China

It was 10 years ago since my family had a trip together. This year, we visited Shanghai, Wuxi, Hangzhou, Suzhou , Ningbo in our 9 day trip in June. It was certainly good for family bonding and a value for money trip.

P5020202

Friendship & BGR

This was a year that really taught me a lot about friendship and BGR, as I could be so wrong over some things but so right about others.

  1. A friend just managed to gain my mum’s trust and my mum actually ask me to help her in her job hunt and helped her financially. In the end, this person, and her family makes me feel that they are actually taking advantage of me. To think that this person is going into her 30s, and my mum actually thinks that I should start a BGR with her. I doubt I can stand a person whose family and she herself is like clinging onto me like I am some rich guy.
  2. 2 young friends , in their early 20s really impressed me with their maturity and thinking this year. They have shown me that they were able to think like me. I really enjoyed being with them. Hope that our friendship last.
  3. I got to know a gal on OKCupid, who requested for my number after chatting  with her for a while. I thought it was alright to give, but I certainly did not expect her to bug me with sms, line messages and whatsapp messages almost everyday on morning, afternoon, night. It really got so bad that I found that she was affecting my personal life with her probing questions. I have since cut off contact with this gal after I gave her a piece of my mind.
  4. I got to know 2 gals online in this year, whom I thought could be The One. One has a similar medical condition as mine. We could click well, but she was rather mindful that I was earning much less than her and our different religions. I am of the view that people with different religions and salary scale can be together no matter what, as long as the difficulties are overcomed. The other, I would say, maybe I lack the confidence in my pursuit of her, and we did not manage to find time to come out more often together due to our busy schedules, as a result, I lost out to a more likely to be capable than me guy that became his boyfriend.
  5. One of my friends who is very concerned by my lack of a BGR, introduced me her friend. I was okay with the arrangement, but the gal seems lacking in commitment to make the friendship work. I wonder why did she ask my friend that she wants to be friends with me in the 1st place.

Family

I know that my family, especially my mum is very concerned about my lack of having a BGR. I am hoping to start a family too, but certain things cannot be rushed. I know I can get a flat when I reach 35. But that does not mean I have to follow the crowd although I know having a flat is the best hedge against inflation. Like what one of my friends said, the trend now is marrying late not early and seeing friends around me, with unhappy endings in marriages does have an impact on me. I really hope to find a suitable one, instead of having to go through the pain of a divorce later if we found that we are not suitable.

Hope that the Year 2013 will be a better year in terms of work, as I hope to enjoy a better work life balance. As for BGR, I still prefer to let nature take its course. =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner @ Bacchus @ Dempsey

My Hosting Script for The National Day Event

June Musings