Work Musings

My corporate secretarial department colleague has been on leave for about 10 working days. My boss had been worried that the other two colleagues would try something funny when this colleague is not around and they need to cover her work. Fortunately, nothing much had happened, but the breaking point came on the Friday before the holiday. My admin colleague, who only joined the company in September 2016, had commented that Hari Raya celebration lasts for 1 month, do you celebrate for a month and how come you are not on leave?

I think this sensitive comment caused my colleague to snap. She said that in her 17 years with the company, she has not gone without going on leave before and after Hari Raya Puasa. To me, she is just finding excuses not to work, just because she was fasting and had been unhappy that my colleague was granted 10 working days of her annual leave to fly back to Canada to visit her parents. I personally feel that there is nothing wrong with that as my colleague's parents are already in their 80s. They may not have much time left to see their daughter. Hari Raya can be celebrated every year, unless you are sure that you are going to depart from this world.

Since joining this company, I always try to reward myself by taking leave on my birthday. There was a period of 4 years where I did not have the chance to take leave due to work. I am thankful to IRAS for adjusting the corporate tax deadline to 15 Dec since YA 2014.

This year, there is an added incentive for me to take leave on my birthday as one of my close KTV mates is getting married on the day before my birthday. Since the dinner is on a Sunday, I would take the following Monday to rest at home.

My guess was she was not happy with the bonus payout that my boss had given her. The bonus payout was expected as the economy was not doing well and most clients were affected, as a result, most of them asked for a fee reduction from my boss. Some personal tax clients even decided not to let us handle their personal tax, preferring to do it themselves instead.

I always believe that one should add value to himself and the company and not be choosy about what is being given to do.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner @ Bacchus @ Dempsey

My Hosting Script for The National Day Event

June Musings