A Fresh Beginning and Lessons From It

 

It has been a while since I last blogged. I am glad to share that I am coping well with my current job after many false starts this year. It has been a difficult journey in the past 6 months, but I am glad to say that I am seeing light at the end of this tunnel. I must say my confidence level was at its lowest, especially at the last job that did not work out.

I would like to thank my boss for giving me the opportunity to work with him again. I am happy to see that he has expanded with a new portfolio, which I am helping to manage the tax matters of the clients in this portfolio.

I used to hear people say people working in corporate services firm should not stay beyond 3 years. In all of my working career, I have outlived this mantra and stayed beyond the 3 years cycle. I stayed more than 4 cycles for one of them.  You may have thought why I did not wish to move.

For me, moving forward to a new career is not easy. Prospective employers will try to lower the remuneration on seeing that I am physically challenged, even though I have the necessary skills and qualifications. Others will put in unfair hiring terms, such as giving me a lower post and massive pay cut or need to serve for a certain period of time.  I am glad that Labour MP, Mr Patrick Tay has taken note of this issue and will look into giving more protection for us.

I have been prepared for the loss of my job 2 years ago, as I felt that I had been unfairly treated by my employers after my hand fracture and shingles. The way I was laid off was unexpected after I have contributed my youth to the firm. I guess COVID-19 pandemic played a part as well.

This episode taught me several points.

1.       Staying in a job for too long may make you too comfortable, unless you have the opportunity to continue to grow and excel in your job continuously.

 

2.       Your resume should be clear and concise and kept to a maximum of 3 pages. I have been lucky to have been taught by my brother, who consulted a career coach on this.

 

3.       Once you are above 40 years old, prospective employers will deem that you are too old. Being physically challenged is another minus point, but don’t give up.

 

4.        Having a religion, someone to talk to does help. Mental strain from a job is real, especially if you are new to a job and no proper onboarding was done. This is even more so during such unprecedented times, where work from home makes communication difficult.  Do give yourself more time if possible to adapt to the new workplace without compromising your mental health.

 

5.       Having a hobby or an interest helps you to deflect the troubles you are facing.

 

6.       Doing volunteer work and delivery app jobs during the time when I lost my job actually helped me to broaden my mind, as there are people who are in much worse situation than me, and need assistance to book appointment for vaccination. The experience of being a delivery guy, even though I am physically challenged is that you will meet by nice people who appreciate your service, or nasty people who will make nasty remarks or request to hurry up. I am glad I always meet by nice people. I guess I have always been nice to people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner @ Bacchus @ Dempsey

My Hosting Script for The National Day Event

June Musings