Year 2021 In Review

 

It has been a while since I last blogged. I must say that it is indeed an unexpected year of twist and turns.

Work

I would have expected myself to be in the job that I have held for quite a while to go on, given the uncertainties brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic, but sadly, as the Chinese saying goes, 天下没有不散的宴席, I had to go after I was placed on no pay leave in February, just before Chinese New Year. Little did I expect that it would be a time of instability for me as I have tried my best to fit into 3 organisations within a short span of 6 months but it did not work out. I am just glad that I managed to find my mojo back in mid-August when my first boss took me back after an interview with them. It has been a great 4 and a ½ months so far.

 

After going through so much job changes in a year, it really changed my perspective and outlook of life. The 3 unsuccessful jobs caused my confidence to be at an all-time low. One of the jobs caused me to go into a near mental breakdown. It is fortunate that it is now on the way back up with this job.

 

In the time, where I was down, I dabbled into doing delivery jobs via my handphone to cover my expenses. You must be wondering the goods must be heavy. I purposedly chose the jobs that are below 2kg. I must say it was not easy as you must be good in reading maps and your sense of direction must be good. Not only that, your public transport knowledge must be good to enable you to deliver the goods on time. I must say I have been lucky to have met by nice customers in my deliveries.

Singing/ Music Lessons

Physical singing is still not allowed. However, we are still able to do our events virtually via the 全民party. Before the restrictions were tightened in early May, we were able to have some birthday gatherings for some of the members. I am thankful to my co-host, Annie and my fellow members for keeping the group going and singing almost nightly. I am glad to see some new members joining us, despite the event being on a singing app.

Into my second year for my vocal lessons, I am really enjoying my vocal lessons with my teacher, Leonard. I feel happy that friends who I have not met quite a while have said that my singing has improved.

Volunteering

I was glad that I was able to help the taxi drivers, delivery partners and grab drivers to e-file their taxes at my friend’s company this year.

It has also been a great experience to review corporate tax computations for various social enterprises this year, as well as giving a talk via zoom on income tax deduction in November this year.

Hope for a better 2022 ahead, and the pandemic to be over soon.

I thought that these 2 songs by my idol, JJ Lin 一定會 and After the rain best describes the twist and turns I had this year.


一定會

After The Rain



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner @ Bacchus @ Dempsey

My Hosting Script for The National Day Event

June Musings