First Day of IRAS VES Programme

Today was the first day of the IRAS Volunteer E-filing Programme. It is a month long excercise which volunteers like me volunteer their time at the various e-clubs & community centres to help people efile their tax return.

This year the centre I was attached to had some problems as the former manager who nominated me for the outstanding volunteer award had passed away late last year. No one was aware that the excercise was going on at the centre until I had called up the acting e-club manager and e-mailed Minister of State for Finance & Transport, Mrs Lim Hwee Hua, who is also the MP for the area. I must say she is pretty efficient after she saw the e-mail, because the things were all fixed up when I stepped in the office. I am also surprised by the fact that she made the effort to reply the e-mail personally. This shows that she is a Minister that works for her pay and not like some MPs, who only appear when the time comes.

I must say if without my persistence, the VES may not have gone on @ the e-club today as the problems raised were enough to derail the excercise and the image of IRAS. Even though, I am just a volunteer, I just want to make sure the task assigned to me is completed properly. I don't like to give up halfway uncompleted.

This incident also showed up the laziness of some people who are volunteers in the grassroots organisations. They only move when the MP tells them to move. I wonder where is their initative?

Fortunately, I must say everything was quite smooth today. Thanks to the acting club manager, Chow Ming, for having the faith in me and ET and let us hold the fort at the e-club for the next 9 days of the excercise, ending 15 April 2007.

If you have not filed your tax return online, and not sure how to do it, you guys can pop by the 32 centres offering the service. I am attached at Contact 123 IT Centre @ Blk 123 Serangoon North. I will be there on 24 March 2007 to 15 April 2007 from 2-6pm.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner @ Bacchus @ Dempsey

My Hosting Script for The National Day Event

June Musings