Euro 2008

images

I am glad to be back here to blog after a break for a few days due to my ACCA exams. I managed to finish the entire paper, even though I didn't manage to balance the consolidation question. Therefore, I just hope to pass this round.

People who know me should know that Paul is a soccer fan at heart, who supports Manchester United & Italy. I was influenced by my dad during the 1990 World Cup. Since then, I have tried my best to follow every major soccer tournament, even without cable vision.

This year, Euro 2008 hosted by Switzerland & Austria looks to be a good one. My picks for this round for the final on 29 July 2008 are as follows:-

  1. Portugal
  2. Holland
  3. Italy
  4. Greece
  5. Russia

The reasons for these choices is

Portugal

A young and talented team with Luis Felipe Scolari, former Brazil World Cup winning coach at helm. 4th place in World Cup 2006.

Holland

Another young team with one of the world best goalkeepers in Edwin Van Der Sar. For the first time, the Dutch are not having infighting in their team.

Italy

Although they lost the game against Holland yesterday, the reigning World Cup champions should have enough experienced heads in their team to see them through.

Greece

Surprise winner of Euro 2004 with its ultra-defensive tactics. May surprise again.

Russia

The team may be filled with Russian league unknown players, but Zenit St Petersburg won the UEFA Cup this season. Not only that, they have a good coach in Gus Hiddink, who has led Holland, South Korea, Austraila to good results in major tournaments. Russia qualifed from the group that had Croatia & England.

Hope you guys enjoy my analysis for this tournament. We shall see who gets crowned the European Champions on 29 July 2008.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner @ Bacchus @ Dempsey

My Hosting Script for The National Day Event

June Musings