The Art of Job Hunting

I decided to write this post after I found out from one of my friends, who has no prior working experience rejecting job offers that she considered was "too elementary" or just because the job is a temp assignment and not a permanent one and she has refused to go for certain tests requested to see if she fits the requirements for the job.

I am not trying to say that this friend of mine is wrong to wait for what she wants in a job. She may have some prior temp experience as an accounts cum admin assistant or she may have the necessary qualifications with a diploma. To me, this does not guarantee a job these days. The most important thing is "Do you have the necessary experience and the right mindset to take the job?"

As announced earlier in the news last month, the US economy is showing signs of slowing down. Therefore, I am glad that I was able to leave my ex-firm when times are still considered good. Even then, I spent close to half a year looking for this job. I had to make some adjustments to my requirements to try to match my prospective employer's requirements. I must say it was not easy. With my physical condition, it was even harder. There was even a point in time that my confidence was at a all time low.

Therefore, I just wish to share my experience that, when an opportunity comes up, but a small part of the requirements does not meet your needs, but you feel that you can do well in this environment, please take up the challenge, if not other people will grab it when the chance is open to them. This is the reason why there are so many foreigners in our land here at this moment. They are doing the jobs that we shun away from. I am sure my recruitment consultant friends will agree with me on this.

I just hope that you guys who are finding your first job or subsequent jobs not to be choosy. Please keep your feet to the ground and leave your airs at home.

Comments

Dalicia said…
even with experience is also hard to find a job. i think it's harder for new graduates and older ppl to enter the market. but hey, i'm happy with my company.

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner @ Bacchus @ Dempsey

My Hosting Script for The National Day Event

June Musings