Queens English: Do You Speak It Or Write It?

I was quite disturbed by what my boss said during the Chinese New Year period to me and my colleague about my command of the English language. It is affecting me quite a bit and it has also influenced my decision partly to take a break from my studies to focus on my job for the time being. The fear of losing my job has always been on my mind since the end of last year. This is especially so after my boss said this to me.

I am not saying that my command of English is really good as I have taken my 'O Levels twice. At the first attempt, my grade was E8, while on my 2nd attempt, I only just managed to pass the paper with a grade of C6. In my 6 years in working in this line of work, this was the 1st time my letter writing has been belittled till its like a piece of worthless paper. It has affected my mood to blog as well, as I feel that I should not show my lousy English for my blog readers to read.

I was asked to draft a letter by my manager today. She was surprised that I have not been myself since the release of my exam results. She asked me what was bothering me. I told her in private about this issue. I was a little surprised that she said that she is pretty pleased with my performance and letter writing skills. Therefore, this shows that my 5 years of blog writing, together with a habit of reading English  newspapers since I was 9 years old has helped me a lot in coming this far. My manager adds that if I could pass my audit paper, which is a theory paper, she does not see that my letter writing is a problem. To me, her words are a morale booster to my confidence. If not, I wonder if all of you had the opportunity to see me writing on my blog again.

I hope you, the readers can understand what I am trying to say in this entry. I don't think it is difficult to understand like Queens English.

Comments

Anonymous said…
speaking it well does not mean you write well. Conversely, writing it well does not mean you speak it well. Perhaps this boss of yours wants both. To speak AND write well. It's a tough market out there. Who does not want the best employees for the least $$?

Just do your best, and don't let trival things bother you
curryegg said…
Paul ko.. I do understand your writing. And to be frank, you can write well! Yes. I am serious. Trust yourself.. ;)
Paul said…
Thanks mei for your support. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner @ Bacchus @ Dempsey

My Hosting Script for The National Day Event

June Musings